“The friendship and the intensive guidance…”

Ever since our son Max was about 6 years old he asked us questions about his background and about why and how he was adopted. But we couldn’t help him very well as the only information we had for him were the name of his birth mother and approximately her age. And although Max spent a happy youth with us, only going through the ups and downs that every person experiences when growing up, we sensed that there was this void in his life that we just couldn’t fill. One thing though, we have always promised him: as soon as he would become 18 we would travel to Colombia with the whole family to find his roots.

When his 18th birthday came nearer Max kept asking if we thought we would find his birth mother, and because we didn’t want to give him any false hope we always said «no, we don’t think so, but we are going to try our best». Of course we had searched the Internet for the name of his Colombian mother and for organizations that could help. We searched in Spanish and in English (since we live in Canada). In vain. We never thought of searching in Dutch. Not until one week before departure we found the website of Colombia Tu Pais, in Dutch! We quickly made contact and Gyna started to do some work for us. But at the same time she worked with an other family, who had booked her services before us, and who were her first priority. Gyna, however, told us not to worry. «If I can’t travel with you my boyfriend will accompany you on your trip, while I do the searching from Bogota. In fact we were a little concerned that her boyfriend would lack the experience that she obviously had (a feeling of which we now are quite ashamed).

Finally, after all these years of waiting, we travelled to Colombia. We would have loved to take both our other son and our daughter (who are not adopted) with us, to learn more about the background of their younger brother, but unfortunately our other son could not take time off from school and work, so we went with the four of us. As soon as we were in Colombia and had met Gyna and her boyfriend Diego we felt a lot better. From the very first meeting we got along very well and we were certain that we would be getting professional help. Although Gyna had not found any information for us we started our journey, with Diego, to all the places of which we knew Max had been there as a baby. Diego and Gyna booked appointments for us, so we wouldn’t find any closed doors. Our first visit was to the CRAN children’s home, where Max had only been one day of his life, to be handed over to us. We were received most friendly and professionally. The psychologist of the home received us in her office and opened a file of which we didn’t know it existed. We strongly hoped that that file would uncover new information, but nothing new was reveiled. The meeting with the psychologist and the tour of the home still made us feel good about this visit. After this event we travelled to Max’s birthplace Villavicencio. We tried to absorb everything: the beauty of this country, the poverty, the friendliness of its people! We sensed that Max was becoming more anxious and we understood what he was going through: somewhere here, between all these people, could be his mother! We stayed a few days in a hotel in Villlavicencio and searched the town every day, while Gyna kept searching from Bogota. We paid a visit to the local children’s welfare centre and the hospital where Max was born. Again we were given all the attention we could hope for, plus a tiny bit of new information: Max’s mother had lived in Acacias, a small town near Villavicencio, but had come to Villavicencio to give birth. And in the hospital a birthfile was opened from which we learned that Max was born by cesarean section on May 16 and not on May 10. Even more importantly we found the exact birthdate of his mother! That was vital information for Gyna.

The absolute highlight of the visit to Villavicencio was the visit that we paid to the foster family that had taken care of Max from his birth until he was 6 months old. Because we had visited them 18 years ago when we had just received Max we could find their house again with some effort. We found the street and after asking around a bit we also found the house. Diego and Max went ahead and knocked on the door. The door was opened by a little old man, who looked up to Max in amazement and exclaimed: «Juan Camilo!» This man had, together with his wife (who had passed away a few years ago), cared for 22 babies in 14 years. Very lovingly as we understood from the fact that they had taken pictures of all the children and the fact that this man still remembered Max. We spent the afternoon with this man and his son, going through the pictures and talking about what they remembered about Max.  Feeling warm inside of all these new impressions we travelled to Acacias the next day, meanwhile agreeing that if Max wouldn’t find his biological family on this trip, we would still be able to look back on a wonderful experience. And that we would come back next year to try again.

If you are on a mission as important as this and you are accompanied by someone as sensible, understanding, tactful, kind and ever friendly as Diego, than you know you are blessed and that whatever is going to happen the overall experience is going to be positive. From the very start Diego was one of us. And the fact that he speaks English fluently and Gyna speaks Dutch fluently helps tremendously of course. Diego was our guide and interpreter from early in the morning until bedtime.

But no matter where we asked in Acacias, at the baptismal register of the largest church, people in the street and even through a radio broadcast by Diego (!), Max’s family were nowhere to be found. When our stay in Acacias was coming to an end en we were about to give up hope, the unexpected happened. We, father, mother, son Max and daughter were having breakfast when Diego joined us and said: «Brace yourselves! I just talked to Gyna on the phone. She has great news for you. Max, she found your mother.» He wanted to tell us more, but he had to wait for a while. We were too emotional. Tears streamed, we hugged and held each other and we were just speachless. Some people find their family after months of searching. For some it takes years. And a few may never find the ones they are looking for.And Gyna managed to succeed in a bit over two weeks. Carefully Diego told us everything he had heard from Gyna. She had found two women of the same name and age and soon she had discovered that one of them was Max’s birth mother. And she even discovered that Max had a younger sister. Diego could even tell us that the sister’s name was either Mayra or Natalia. We were absolutely speachless, because for years Max had hoped and even sensed that he had a little sister!

During all the preparations for this whole enterprise and during the entire trip we, the adoption parents, had had a torturing fear: «What if we found his mother and she wanted to have nothing to do with Max, what if she lived a life we didn’t want to confront our son with, what if she was no longer alive? But all those fears were quickly taken away. The Colombian mom had, when Gyna told her that her son was looking for her, immediately insisted that she must see him. Gyna must promise her that she would see her son!

From this memorable breakfast we had to act quickly. We travelled back to Bogota and from there to the South, as Max’s relatives live near Cali in the province Valle de Cauca. So many new, and positive impressions overwhelmed us in the days to come. Gyna joined us again in Bogota and told us everything she had discovered. Max did not have one but two younger sisters: Mayra of 14 and Natalia of 8! An uncle, who had raised Max’s mother when she was a child, had travelled to Bogota to meet Max, while his wife travelled 12 hours per bus to Max’s mother. The meeting with the uncle was warm and heartfelt.  Thank goodness we speak a little bit of Spanish and Max manages quite well after 18 months of intensive lessons; we had a lot to ask. And of course Gyna and Diego were there to translate for us. The next day we headed south and stayed the night in a hotel. Not one of us could really sleep. The next day would be the big day. After breakfast, of which Max ate nothing, we got into two taxis and drove to the given address.

To write down our experiences is really impossible, the emotions that ran through us cannot be described. Nor can we describe how we felt. When we arrived at the given address Max and his mother flung themselves into each other’s arms and held each other for minutes, crying and crying. We only looked at them and at first didn’t notice that the house was decorated with banners and balloons. Two aunts and two shy little sisters hugged us and kissed us, while Max and his Colombian mother looked, touched, stroked and cried, cried, cried. It lasted half an hour, maybe an hour until we could finally talk. Poor Diego, who had worked so hard all these days, now again he had to translate long stories from both sides. All the questions that Max had had were finally answered and also his refound mother had a lot of questions to ask. Wasn’t Max angry with her, did we, his new parents really want to see her, didn’t we think she was a bad person?  We were able to make her feel better about all these issues and spent a wonderful relaxed afternoon together. The cake was eaten, presents unwrapped, stories told.

After this great day we only had two more days to spend with these dear people. We met more family: uncles and aunts, and an old grandmother, one full day we spent at the hotel, where Max swam in the pool with his big sister and two little sisters. And one day we spent in the zoo in Cali. We enjoyed every minute of each other’s presence and of all the new impressions. Max wouldn’t leave his refound mom and his little sisters for one second. We made pictures of them and admired their resemblance. And we knew that all this would come to an end. The last day in the South we all felt depressed. But Diego, our personal psychologist, said «No this is not a fare well, you must see this as the beginning of a whole new life.» And of course he was right. After one more day in Bogota to say good-bye to Gyna and Diego we travelled back home.

Our telephone bills prove that Max has stayed in touch. After all there was this gap of 18 years he had to fill. He’s bonding well with his refound family. His Colombian mother is friendly and wise. Her wish is that Max will study hard and be an example for his sisters. And Max loves his sisters. Money needs to be earned and saved and very soon, possibly already this year, Max will go back to Colombia.

Would this adventure have looked much different without Diego and Gyna? We would have visited Colombia, and, since we are adventurous, it would have been quite a trip. We would have visited official institutes, such as the hospital, and we would have found the foster father. But very soon we would have come to a dead end.

However, that they helped us find Max’s relatives is not the only thing we are greatful for, no matter how important. Above all we are greatful to Gyna and Diego for their professionalism, their psychological insight, the friendship and the intensive guidance. These two people give so much. Much more than we would have dared to ask. They offer unpaid aftercare. Diego and Gyna have both kept in touch with Max, have given him advice, showed him they were involved.

We can never thank them enough!


“De vriendschap en de intense begeleiding…”

Vanaf dat onze zoon Max een jaar of zes was had hij vragen over zijn afkomst en het hoe en waarom van zijn geadopteerd zijn. Maar we konden hem slecht helpen, omdat de enige informatie die wij hadden van zijn biologische moeder haar naam was en, bij benadering, haar leeftijd. En ondanks dat Max een gelukkige jeugd heeft gehad, met de normale ups en downs die iedereen in zijn jeugd beleeft, merkten we wel dat er een leegte was in zijn leven, die wij niet konden opvullen. Een ding hebben wij hem altijd beloofd: zodra hij 18 zou worden zouden we met het hele gezin naar Colombia gaan voor een rootsreis. Toen zijn 18de verjaardag en de reis dichterbij kwamen bleef Max vragen of wij dachten dat we zijn biologische moeder zouden vinden. En omdat we hem geen valse hoop wilden geven zeiden wij dan altijd, «nee, we denken het niet, maar we gaan er wel ons best voor doen». Natuurlijk hadden we al maanden op het internet gezocht naar de naam van zijn Colombiaanse moeder en naar organisaties die ons konden helpen. Dom genoeg zochten we in het spaans en in het engels (omdat we in Canada wonen). Pas een week voor vertrek vonden we, in het nederlands!, de website van Colombia Tu Pais. We legden snel contact en Gyna is al wat voorwerk gaan doen, maar ze werkte tegelijkertijd met een andere familie, waar ze al langer contact mee had en die dus voor ging. «Maak je geen zorgen» zei Gyna echter, als ik niet met jullie mee kan reizen dan zal mijn vriend jullie wel begeleiden. Eerlijk gezegd (en daar schamen we ons nu voor) hadden wij onze bedenkingen. Ten slotte had Gyna veel ervaring, maar haar vriend…?

Eindelijk, na al die jaren wachten, vlogen we naar Colombia. We hadden graag gewild dat onze zoon en dochter, die niet geadopteerd zijn, zouden zien waar hun broertje vandaan kwam, maar helaas kon onze andere zoon door studie en werk niet mee, zodat we met zijn vieren waren. Zodra we in Colombia aankwamen en we Gyna en haar vriend Diego hadden ontmoet voelden we ons al een stuk zekerder. Vanaf het eerste contact klikte het enorm en voelden we ons volledig verzekerd van deskundige hulp. Alhoewel Gyna nog niets voor ons had gevonden zijn we met Diego op reis gegaan langs verschillende plekken waarvan wij wisten dat Max daar als baby was geweest. Diego en Gyna maakten voor ons indien nodig afspraken, zodat we niet voor niets ergens langs zouden gaan. Allereerst zijn we in Bogota naar het CRAN-kindertehuis gegaan, waar Max maar een dagje van zijn leven is geweest, namelijk om aan ons te worden overgedragen. De ontvangst daar was hartelijk en deskundig. De vaste psychologe van het kindertehuis heeft ons in haar kantoortje ontvangen en een dossier van Max geopend waarvan wij niet vermoedden dat ze dat daar zouden hebben. We hoopten natuurlijk op maar een ding en dat was aanvullende informatie over zijn biologische moeder. Helaas konden ze niets toevoegen aan wat we al wisten, maar het persoonlijke gesprek en de rondleiding maakten een hoop goed.

Daarna zijn we naar Max’ geboorteplaats in Villavicencio gereisd. We keken allemaal onze ogen uit. Wat een prachtig land, wat een armoede, wat een vriendelijke mensen! We merkten dat Max wat nerveuzer werd en we begrepen wat hij voelde: hier ergens, tussen al deze mensen, kon zijn moeder lopen! In Villlavicencio hebben we een dag of wat in een hotel geslapen, waarvanuit we onze zoektocht voortzetten, terwijl Gyna vanuit Bogota haar speurwerk verrichtte. We hebben er bij de plaatselijke kinderbescherming en bij het ziekenhuis waar Max is geboren alweer alle medewerking gekregen die we ons konden wensen. En een heel klein beetje meer informatie kregen we. Max’ moeder woonde in Acacias, in een plaatsje buiten Villavicencio, toen ze naar het ziekenhuis in Villavicencio kwam om verlost te worden. En in het ziekenhuis ging een geboorteregister voor ons open waaruit bleek dat Max op 16 mei was geboren en niet op de 10de mei en met een keizersnede ter wereld was gekomen. Het absolute hoogtepunt van ons bezoek aan Villavicencio was het bezoek aan het pleeggezin dat voor Max had gezorgd vanaf zijn geboorte totdat hij zes maanden oud was. Omdat we in het jaar dat we Max ophaalden ook een bezoekje hadden afgelegd aan dit gezin konden we ze met enige moeite weer terug vinden. In het straatje gekomen en na wat rondvragen vonden we het huis. Diego en Max liepen voorop en klopten aan. De deur werd opengedaan door een kleine, magere, oude man, die opkeek naar Max en met verbazing op zijn gezicht zei: «Juan Camilo!» Deze man had samen met zijn, inmiddels overleden vrouw, in veertien jaar 22 pleegkinderen verzorgd. Met veel liefde, dat bleek wel uit het feit dat ze van alle babietjes fotos hadden gemaakt en bewaard en uit het feit dat hij zich Max nog wist te herinneren. We hebben de middag doorgebracht met de pleegvader en zijn zoon, fotos bekijkend en herinneringen ophalend. Helemaal vol en warm van alle indrukken zijn we de volgende dag naar Acacias gereisd, ondertussen wel afsprekend met Max dat als we zijn familie niet zouden vinden tijdens deze rootsreis, we het toch als een hele positieve ervaring zouden zien en volgend jaar terug zouden gaan om verder te zoeken.

Als je op zo’n belangrijke missie bent en je hebt iemand bij je die zo verstandig is, begrijpend, tactvol, gezellig en ontzettend lief als Diego, dan weet je dat je het niet beter had kunnen treffen en dat, wat er ook op je pad gaat komen, de hele ervaring van de reis positief zal zijn. Diego was vanaf het begin een van ons en het feit dat hij vloeiend engels spreekt en Gyna vloeiend nederlands helpt natuurlijk enorm. Diego was van ‘s ochtends vroeg tot bedtijd onze begeleider en onze tolk. Maar waar we ook vroegen in Acacias, bij het doopregister van de grootste kerk, het gemeentehuis, mensen op straat en zelfs door middel van een radio-omroep door Diego (!) nergens vonden we ook maar het kleinste spoortje van familie van Max. Toen ons verblijf in Acacias na een paar dagen ten einde was gekomen en we onze hoop voorzichtig aan het opgeven waren, toen gebeurde wat we nooit hadden durven hopen. Wij, vader, moeder, zoon Max en dochter zaten aan de ontbijttafel toen Diego bij ons kwam en zei «Hou je vast, want ik heb net met Gyna gebeld en zij heeft groot nieuws voor jullie. Max, ze heeft je moeder gevonden!» Hij wilde nog meer vertellen, maar dat kon even niet want we waren allemaal veel te emotioneel. Tranen kwamen los, we omhelzden elkaar en waren gewoon sprakeloos. Sommige mensen vinden pas na maanden speurwerk familie, sommigen na jaren en sommigen nooit. En bij ons lukte het Gyna is ruim twee weken. Voorzichtig vertelde Diego alles wat hij van Gyna had gehoord. Ze had twee vrouwen gevonden die aan het profiel (naam, leeftijd) voldeden en al snel was haar gebleken dat een daarvan Max’ biologische moeder was. En Max zou ook een zusje hebben. Diego had zelfs al gehoord dat het zusje Mayra zou heten of Natalia. Wij waren sprakeloos, want Max had al jaren gehoopt en zelfs gedacht dat hij een zusje zou hebben!

Gedurende de voorbereidingen van deze hele onderneming en tijdens de reis hadden wij, de adoptieouders, een beklemmende angst gehad: «Wat als we zijn moeder vonden, maar ze niets met Max te maken wilde hebben, wat als ze aan lager wal zou zijn geraakt, ziek zou zijn, of misschien wel overleden? Maar al die angsten werden in een keer uit ons leven weggeveegd. De Colombiaanse mama had, toen Gyna haar belde met het nieuws dat haar zoon naar haar zocht, meteen uitgeroepen dat ze hem wilde zien. Gyna moest haar beloven dat ze hem te zien zou krijgen!

Vanaf dit nieuws aan het ontbijt waren we in rep en roer. We moesten terug reizen naar Bogota en daarna weer naar het zuiden vliegen, want Max familie woont vlak bij Cali in de provincie Valle de Cauca. Vanaf dit goede nieuws is alles in een stroomversnelling gekomen. Positieve indrukken stapelden zich op in de volgende dagen. Gyna voegde zich in Bogota ook weer bij ons en vertelde ons alles wat ze te weten was gekomen. Max had niet een maar twee zusjes, Mayra van 14 en Natalia van 8! Een Colombiaanse oom van Max, waarbij Max’ moeder als kind was opgegroeid kwam halsoverkop naar Bogota gereisd om Max te ontmoeten, zijn vrouw reisde ondertussen 12 uur met een bus naar Max’ moeder. De ontmoeting met de oom was warm en hartelijk. Dat wij een heel klein mondje Spaans spreken en Max zich na anderhalf jaar intensieve spaanse lessen goed kon redden, kwam goed uit, want we hadden natuuurlijk heel wat te vragen. En natuurlijk waren Diego en Gyna er om voor ons te vertalen. De volgende dag reisden we naar het zuiden en overnachtten daar in een hotel. Van slapen kwam heel weinig, want de volgende dag zou de grote dag zijn. Na een ontbijt waarbij Max geen hap door zijn keel kon krijgen stapten we in twee taxis en reden naar het adres wat we hadden gekregen.

Een verslag als dit schrijven is eigenlijk onmogelijk, de emoties die we beleefden zijn met geen pen te beschrijven, evenmin als alle indrukken die we hebben opgedaan. Toen we aankwamen bij het adres en Max en zijn moeder elkaar in de armen vlogen en minuten lang elkaar snikkend vasthielden, hadden we alleen maar oog voor hen en zagen niet meteen dat het hele huis versierd was met slingers en balonnen. Twee tantes en twee beduusde zusjes en wij begroetten elkaar hartelijk terwijl Max en zijn Colombiaanse moeder elkaar bekeken, aanraakten, aaiden en huilden, huilden, huilden. Het duurde misschien wel een half uur of een uur eer we met elkaar konden praten. Arme Diego, die al die dagen al zo hard had moeten werken moest nu hele verhalen over en weer vertalen. Alle vragen die Max en wij hadden gehad konden worden beantwoord en ook zijn teruggevonden moeder had natuurlijk vragen. Was Max niet boos op haar dat hij geadopteerd was, wilden wij, zijn nieuwe ouders haar wel zien, vonden we haar geen slecht mens? Gelukkig konden we haar gerust stellen en kregen we een heel ontspannen contact met iedereen. De taart werd gegeten, cadeautjes die we hadden meegebracht werden uitgepakt en verhalen werden verteld.

Na deze grote dag hadden we nog maar twee dagen te besteden bij deze lieve mensen. Nog meer familie hebben we ontmoet, ooms, tantes, een oude oma. Een hele dag hebben we met zijn allen in het hotel bij het zwembad doorgebracht en een hele dag zijn we met de uitgebreide familie naar de dierentuin in Cali geweest. Genoten hebben we, van elkaar en van de nieuwe indrukken. Max was niet weg te slaan bij zijn zusjes en moeder. We maakten fotos van ze en genoten van de gelijkenissen. En we wisten dat er een einde aan de reis zou komen. De laatste dag in het zuiden hadden we het allemaal te kwaad. Nu hadden Max en zijn familie elkaar net terug en nu moesten ze alweer afscheid nemen. Maar Diego, onze eigen psycholoog, zei ‘Nee, dit is geen afscheid, dit is het begin. Het begin van een heel nieuw leven’. En hij had gelijk. Na nog een dag Bogota en innig afscheid van Diego en Gyna, zijn we intens gelukkig teruggereisd naar huis. Max heeft vanaf de allereerste dan contact gehouden. De telefoonrekeningen zijn daar getuige van. Maar hij had dan ook 18 jaar in te halen! Het contact is warm en hartelijk. Zijn Colombiaanse moeder is verstandig en lief. Ze wil dat Max lang door blijft leren om zo een voorbeeld te zijn voor zijn zusjes. En Max is gek op zijn zusjes. Er wordt hard gewerkt en gespaard en heel snel, waarschijnlijk in februari al, gaat Max terug.

Hoe zou ons avontuur eruit hebben gezien als we Gyna en Diego niet hadden gevonden? We waren zowiezo naar Colombia gegaan en, ondernemend als we zijn, hadden daar wel een hele reis ondernomen. We zouden officieele instanties hebben gezocht en de pleegvader hebben gevonden, maar nooit zouden we Max’ moeder hebben kunnen vinden. We zouden al heel snel op een dood spoor zijn gekomen. Maar dat we familie hebben gevonden dat is niet het enige waar we Gyna en Diego dankbaar voor zijn, hoewel dat natuurlijk wel het belangrijkste is. We zijn vooral ook ontzettend dankbaar voor de deskundigheid, het psychologisch inzicht, de vriendschap en de intense begeleiding. Deze mensen geven zoveel van zichzelf. Veel meer dan je zou durven vragen. Ook, onbetaalde, nazorg bieden ze. Diego en Gyna hebben allebei nog met Max ge-emaild en hem adviezen gegeven en belangstelling getoond.

We zullen ze nooit genoeg kunnen bedanken!


“Amistad y guía intensiva…”

Desde que nuestro hijo Max tenía unos 6 años, nos hizo preguntas sobre sus antecedentes y sobre por qué y cómo fue adoptado. Pero no pudimos ayudarlo muy bien ya que la única información que teníamos para él era el nombre de su madre biológica y aproximadamente su edad. Y aunque Max pasó una juventud feliz con nosotros, sólo pasando por los altibajos que cada persona experimenta al crecer, sentimos que había un vacío en su vida que no podíamos llenar. Una cosa, sin embargo, le hemos prometido siempre: en cuanto llegue a los 18 años viajaremos a Colombia con toda la familia para encontrar sus raíces.

Cuando su décimo octavo cumpleaños se acercó, Max continuó preguntando si pensábamos que encontraríamos a su madre biológica, y porque no queríamos darle ninguna falsa esperanza, siempre decíamos «no, no lo creemos, pero vamos a Trataremos de hacer lo mejor». Por supuesto que habíamos buscado en internet el nombre de su madre colombiana y las organizaciones que podrían ayudar. Buscamos en español y en inglés (ya que vivimos en Canadá). En vano. Nunca pensamos en buscar en holandés. No hasta una semana antes de la salida encontramos el sitio web de Colombia Tu Pais, en neerlandés! Rápidamente hicimos contacto y Gyna empezó a hacer algo de trabajo para nosotros. Pero al mismo tiempo trabajaba con otra familia, que había reservado sus servicios ante nosotros, y que eran su primera prioridad. Gyna, sin embargo, nos dijo que no se preocupara. «Si no puedo viajar contigo, mi novio te acompañará en tu viaje, mientras hago la búsqueda desde Bogotá. De hecho estábamos un poco preocupados sin saber si él tendría la experiencia que obviamente tenía (una duda de la cual ahora nos avergonzamos).

Finalmente, después de todos estos años de espera, viajamos a Colombia. Nos hubiera encantado llevar a nuestro otro hijo ya nuestra hija (que no son adoptados) con nosotros, para aprender más sobre el fondo de su hermano menor, pero por desgracia nuestro otro hijo no podía tomar tiempo fuera de la escuela y el trabajo, por lo que Fuimos con los cuatro de nosotros. Tan pronto como estábamos en Colombia y había conocido Gyna y su novio Diego nos sentimos mucho mejor. Desde la primera reunión nos llevamos muy bien y estábamos seguros de que estaríamos recibiendo ayuda profesional. Aunque Gyna no había encontrado ninguna información para nosotros comenzamos nuestro viaje, con Diego, a todos los lugares de los cuales supimos Max había estado allí como un bebé. Diego y Gyna reservamos citas para nosotros, así que no encontraríamos puertas cerradas. Nuestra primera visita fue a la casa de niños CRAN, donde Max había sido sólo un día de su vida, para ser entregados a nosotros. Nos recibieron muy amable y profesional. La psicóloga de la casa nos recibió en su oficina y abrió un archivo del que no sabíamos que existía. Esperamos firmemente que ese archivo descubriera nueva información, pero nada nuevo fue revelado. La reunión con el psicólogo y la excursión de la casa todavía nos hizo sentir bien acerca de esta visita. Después de este evento viajamos al lugar de nacimiento de Max Villavicencio.

Tratamos de absorber todo: la belleza de este país, la pobreza, la amabilidad de su gente! Percibimos que Max se estaba poniendo más ansioso y comprendíamos lo que estaba pasando: en algún lugar, entre todas estas personas, podría ser su madre! Nos quedamos unos días en un hotel en Villavicencio y buscamos la ciudad todos los días, mientras Gyna seguía buscando desde Bogotá. Hicimos una visita al centro de bienestar infantil local y al hospital donde nació Max. De nuevo nos dieron toda la atención que pudimos esperar, además de un poco de información nueva: la madre de Max había vivido en Acacias, una pequeña ciudad cerca de Villavicencio, pero había llegado a Villavicencio para dar a luz. Y en el hospital se abrió un archivo de nacimiento del que nos enteramos de que Max nació por cesárea el 16 de mayo y no el 10 de mayo. ¡Más importante aún, encontramos la fecha exacta de nacimiento de su madre! Esa era información vital para Gyna.

El punto culminante absoluto de la visita a Villavicencio fue la visita a la familia de acogida que había cuidado de Max desde su nacimiento hasta los 6 meses de edad. Debido a que los habíamos visitado hace 18 años cuando acabábamos de recibir a Max, podíamos encontrar su casa de nuevo con algún esfuerzo. Encontramos la calle y después de preguntar por un poco también encontramos la casa. Diego y Max avanzaron y llamaron a la puerta. La puerta fue abierta por un anciano que miró a Max con asombro y exclamó: -¡Juan Camilo! Este hombre, junto con su esposa (que había fallecido hace unos años), cuidó de 22 bebés en 14 años. Muy cariñosamente como entendimos por el hecho de que habían tomado fotos de todos los niños y el hecho de que este hombre todavía recordaba a Max. Pasamos la tarde con este hombre y su hijo, pasando por las fotos y hablando de lo que recordaban de Max. Sintiéndonos calurosos dentro de todas estas nuevas impresiones viajamos a Acacias al día siguiente, mientras acordamos que si Max no encontrara a su familia biológica en este viaje, todavía podríamos mirar atrás en una experiencia maravillosa. Y que volveríamos el año que viene para probar de nuevo.

Si usted está en una misión tan importante como esto y usted está acompañado por alguien tan sensato, comprensivo, tacto, amable y siempre amigable como Diego, que usted sabe que está bendecido y que todo lo que va a suceder la experiencia general va a ser positivo. Desde el principio Diego era uno de nosotros. Y el hecho de que habla inglés con fluidez y Gyna habla holandés fluidamente ayuda enormemente, por supuesto. Diego fue nuestro guía e intérprete desde temprano en la mañana hasta la hora de acostarse.

Pero no importa dónde pedimos en Acacias, en el registro bautismal de la iglesia más grande, gente en la calle e incluso a través de una emisión de radio por Diego (!), La familia de Max no se encontraba en ninguna parte. Cuando nuestra estancia en Acacias estaba llegando a su fin, estábamos a punto de renunciar a la esperanza, lo inesperado sucedió. Nosotros, el padre, la madre, el hijo de Max y la hija desayunábamos cuando Diego se unió a nosotros y dijo: «¡Brace, hablé con Gyna por teléfono, tiene una gran noticia para ti, Max, encontró a tu madre». Quería decirnos más, pero tuvo que esperar un rato.

Estábamos demasiado emocionados. Las lágrimas fluían, nos abrazábamos y nos sosteníamos el uno al otro y éramos apenas speachless. Algunas personas encuentran a su familia después de meses de búsqueda. Para algunos lleva años. Y algunos nunca pueden encontrar los que están buscando. Y Gyna logró tener éxito en un poco más de dos semanas. Cuidadosamente Diego nos contó todo lo que había oído de Gyna. Había encontrado dos mujeres del mismo nombre y edad y pronto descubrió que una de ellas era la madre biológica de Max. Incluso descubrió que Max tenía una hermana menor. Diego incluso podría decirnos que el nombre de la hermana era Mayra o Natalia. Estábamos absolutamente sin voz, porque durante años Max había esperado e incluso sintió que tenía una hermana pequeña!

Durante todos los preparativos de toda esta empresa y durante todo el viaje, nosotros, los padres adoptivos, habíamos tenido un miedo torturador: «¿Y si encontramos a su madre y ella no quería tener nada que ver con Max, y si vivía una vida que nosotros No quería enfrentarse a nuestro hijo, ¿y si ya no viviera ?, pero todos esos miedos fueron quitados rápidamente.La mamá colombiana, cuando Gyna le dijo que su hijo la estaba buscando, inmediatamente insistió en que debía ver ¡Gyna debe prometerle que vería a su hijo!

Desde este desayuno memorable tuvimos que actuar rápidamente. Viajamos de regreso a Bogotá y desde allí al Sur, ya que los familiares de Max viven cerca de Cali en la provincia de Valle de Cauca. Tantas impresiones nuevas y positivas nos abrumaron en los días por venir. Gyna se unió a nosotros de nuevo en Bogotá y nos contó todo lo que había descubierto. Max no tenía una pero dos hermanas más jóvenes: Mayra de 14 y Natalia de 8! Un tío, que había criado a la madre de Max cuando era niña, había viajado a Bogotá para conocer a Max, mientras su esposa viajaba 12 horas por autobús a la madre de Max. El encuentro con el tío fue cálido y sincero. Gracias a Dios que hablamos un poco de español y Max maneja bastante bien después de 18 meses de lecciones intensivas; Teníamos mucho que pedir. Y por supuesto Gyna y Diego estaban allí para traducir para nosotros. Al día siguiente nos dirigimos al sur y nos alojamos la noche en un hotel. Ninguno de nosotros podía dormir. El día siguiente sería el gran día. Después del desayuno, de los cuales Max no comió nada, nos metimos en dos taxis y condujimos a la dirección dada.

Escribir nuestras experiencias es realmente imposible, las emociones que nos atraviesan no pueden ser descritas. Tampoco podemos describir cómo nos sentimos. Cuando llegamos a la dirección dada, Max y su madre se arrojaron entre los brazos y se abrazaron unos minutos, llorando y llorando. Sólo los miramos y al principio no nos dimos cuenta de que la casa estaba decorada con pancartas y globos. Dos tías y dos tímidas hermanas nos abrazaron y nos besaron, mientras Max y su madre colombiana miraban, tocaban, acariciaban y lloraban, lloraban, lloraban. Duró media hora, tal vez una hora hasta que finalmente pudimos hablar. El pobre Diego, que había trabajado tan duro todos estos días, ahora tuvo que traducir largas historias de ambos lados. Todas las preguntas que Max había tenido fueron finalmente contestadas y también su madre tenía un montón de preguntas que hacer. ¿No estaba Max enojado con ella, nosotros, sus nuevos padres realmente queríamos verla, no creíamos que ella era una mala persona? Pudimos hacer que ella se sienta mejor acerca de todos estos problemas y pasamos una maravillosa tarde relajada juntos. El pastel se comió, se presenta sin envoltura, las historias contadas.

Después de este gran día sólo tuvimos dos días más para pasar con estas queridas personas. Nos encontramos con más familia: tíos y tías, y una anciana abuela, un día completo que pasamos en el hotel, donde Max nadó en la piscina con su hermana mayor y dos hermanitas. Y un día pasamos en el zoológico de Cali. Disfrutamos cada minuto de la presencia del otro y de todas las nuevas impresiones. Max no dejaría a su madre refound ya sus pequeñas hermanas por un segundo. Hicimos fotos de ellos y admiramos su parecido. Y sabíamos que todo esto llegaría a su fin. El último día en el Sur todos nos sentimos deprimidos. Pero Diego, nuestro psicólogo personal, dijo: «No, esto no es una buena comida, debes ver esto como el comienzo de una nueva vida». Y por supuesto tenía razón. Después de un día más en Bogotá para despedirnos de Gyna y Diego viajamos de regreso a casa.

Nuestras facturas de teléfono demuestran que Max se ha mantenido en contacto. Después de todo, había una brecha de 18 años que tenía que llenar. Está uniendo bien con su familia refundada. Su madre colombiana es amable y sabia. Su deseo es que Max estudie duro y sea un ejemplo para sus hermanas. Y Max ama a sus hermanas. El dinero necesita ser ganado y ahorrado y muy pronto, posiblemente ya este año, Max volverá a Colombia.

¿Esta aventura habría sido muy diferente sin Diego y Gyna? Habríamos visitado Colombia, y, puesto que somos aventureros, habría sido un viaje bastante. Habríamos visitado institutos oficiales, como el hospital, y habríamos encontrado al padre adoptivo. Pero muy pronto habríamos llegado a un callejón sin salida.

Sin embargo, que nos ayudaron a encontrar a los parientes de Max no es lo único que somos agradecidos, no importa cuán importante. Sobre todo estamos agradecidos a Gyna y Diego por su profesionalismo, su perspicacia psicológica, la amistad y la orientación intensiva. Estas dos personas dan tanto. Mucho más de lo que nos hubiéramos atrevido a preguntar. Ofrecen cuidado posterior no pagado. Diego y Gyna se han mantenido en contacto con Max, le han dado consejos, le han demostrado que estaban involucrados.

¡Nunca podemos agradecerles lo suficiente!